[Rd] internet.R test hangs if http proxy needed (PR#3108)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 27 14:32:55 MEST 2003

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>
> > We need help, as to reproduce this needs some particular local setup and
> > there have been no reports from anyone during the beta-test period for
> > 1.7.0, nor from previous versions.  (That makes me suspect it is rare
> > local setup.)  Can you please debug this further.
> >

> It appears to be partly a bug in my impatience:
>

> system.time(httpget("http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/datasets/csb/ch11b.dat"))
> Error in make.socket(host, port = port) : Socket not established
> Timing stopped at: 0 0 189 0 0
>
>   The function times out after 189 seconds, whereas my impatience
> timeout is 3 minutes. I will upgrade my impatience to the latest version
> so that it is compatible with everyone elses.
>
>   At first I thought it was taking 3 * options()$timeout to produce the
> timeout in make.socket. A quick investigation shows that to be purely
> coincidental with the initial value of options()$timeout:
>
> > options(timeout=2)
> >
> system.time(httpget("http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/datasets/csb/ch11b.dat"))
> making socket
> Error in make.socket(host, port = port) : Socket not established
> Timing stopped at: 0 0 189.04 0 0
>
>   The 189 second timeout appears to be part of our particular local
> setup (port 80 is blocked off-site).
>
> options()$timeout seems to have no effect on connections that fail due
> to  non-use of our proxies. Is this a bug? The doc claims:
>
> timeout: integer.  The timeout for Internet operations, in seconds.
>            Default 60 seconds.
>
> which is a bit vague. If I do something like:
>   read.table("http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/datasets/csb/ch11b.dat")
> without setting my proxy I get 189 seconds, regardless of
> options()$timeout yet it is undoubtedly an internet operation.

It is several internet operations.  However, ?download.file says

     The remaining details apply to method `"internal"' only.

     The timeout for many parts of the transfer can be set by the
     option `timeout' which defaults to 60 seconds.

and note, not all parts.

>   Back to the original problem: the httpget function in tests/internet.R
> can be modified to obey an http_proxy setting with a fairly simple
> adjustment near the start:
>
>    hp <- Sys.getenv("http_proxy")
>    if(hp != ""){
> ## we need to extract host and port from the proxy:
> ## split on / or : thusly:
> ## [http]:[]/[]/[hostname]:[port]
> ##   1     2  3      4        5
>      hpbits <- strsplit(hp,"[/:]")[[1]]
>      host <- hpbits[4]
>      port <- hpbits[5]
> ## ask the proxy for the full URL with all its http:// glory:
>      rurl <- url
>    }else{
> ## no proxy, connect direct and ask for the URL relative to root:
>      host <- urlel[3]
>      rurl <- paste(c("", urlel[-(1:3)]), collapse = "/")
>    }

Just how general is that?  It will not cope with authenticating proxies,
for example.  I would rather skip the test.

>   I still have some qualms about tests that rely on things external to
> the test site, but without including a socket server program (which
> would need its own set of tests, I suppose) I cant see any way of
> testing socket functionality without dribbling on the internet at large.

Well, R can itself be a socket server, but we cannot presume that
there are resources to run two copies of R, for example.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk