[Rd] error message using ARM cpu with Debian

Simon Rex rdeb_question at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 00:16:21 MET 2003

I post this message on R-help mailing list but someone emailed me that I can get helped if I post this one on R-devel mailing list.

I have a small handheld pc having ARM process as a CPU. I installed
debian and installed R (R-1.7.0 base and core, help html, latex-help) using apt-get command. Everything worked great
except for drawing even simple graphs

 x <- 1:10
 plot(x)

I got error messages

        1: Nonfinite axis limits [GScale(nan,nan,1, .); log=0]
        2: relative range of values = 9.0072e+15 * EPS, is small
          (axis 1).
        3: Nonfinite axis limits [GScale(-inf,inf,2, .); log=0]
        4: relative range of values = 9.0072e+15 * EPS, is small
         (axis 2).

 I searched R-help Archives hoping answers to this problem and ran
into this message

 *****************

 Debian tries to build its packages on a variety of platforms. The arm
 platform compiled 0.90.1 (the last Debian release before the Debian
package  required an Atlas library, something we no longer require) failed in
'make  check'. The log snippet follows; I traced this to the example(Bessel)
code.

> matplot(nu, t(outer(xx,nu, besselI)), type = 'l', ylim =
c(-50,200),
:
>         Metric information not yet available for this device
>         In addition: Warning messages:
>         1: Nonfinite axis limits [GScale(nan,nan,1, .); log=0]
>         2: relative range of values = 9.0072e+15 * EPS, is small
(axis 1).
>         3: Nonfinite axis limits [GScale(-inf,inf,2, .); log=0]
>         4: relative range of values = 9.0072e+15 * EPS, is small
(axis 2).
>         Execution halted
>
> Casual inspection suggests that GScale(nan,nan,1, .) is probably
> incorrect. Now, src/nmath/bessel* provide the Bessel functions but
does this
> reflect a potential libc bug in IEEE handling?
>
> I have also asked on the debian-arm mailing list, but no result so
far. I
> have some access to an arm box and could compile small test cases if
that
> helped.
>
> Dirk

 Is there any way I can fix this problem ? I checked Debain FTP sites
to find Atlas but there is no Atlas lib for arm.