[Rd] Nov 17 beta

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Mon Nov 17 16:51:55 MET 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 09:13, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

SNIP

> The reason is this:
>
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/e7/pd/r-patched/BUILD/R-1.8.1/src/library/Recommended'
> mv: writing `/home/ftp/pub/CRAN/src/base/R-1.8.1beta_2003-11-17.tar.gz': No space left on device
>

> I removed the alpha versions to get a little more space, so it should
> be there now. Does sound a bit ominous that we're so close to the
> limit, though.
>
>         -p

Peter,

Is that a problem unique to CRAN U.S. or something that all CRAN mirrors
might be facing?

Perhaps a short term fix would be to ascertain how many old versions of
R need to be online versus in an offline situation.

There is a fair amount of space for R version tar files back to 0.49. A
reasonable amount of space would be freed if say only the most recent 3
or 5 versions were made available online, if in fact even that many are
required online.

I do not know how many people need access to the old source tarballs,
but if someone has a compelling need, these could be made available in
some other fashion. If the space limitation is unique to CRAN U.S. and
there is a CRAN mirror that has access to additional space, that could
be the designated site for historic versions of R. That would reduce the
space requirements for all mirrors.

My tuppence.

Marc