[Rd] Question about Unix file paths

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Tue Nov 25 14:05:49 MET 2003

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:29:50 +0100 (CET), you wrote:

>I think you should test for OS ( R.Version()$os )
>
>The special meaning of "c:file" on Windows does not exist on
>Unix, even if the filesystem is on a mounted Windows partition.

The patch does that implicitly by an "#ifdef Win32" in the source
code, an explicit check isn't needed.

If there are strange situations where the default handling of path
separators doesn't work, the user can always put together the path
using paste().  Users could have done that in Windows for paths like
C: or C:\, but those are common enough that I think it's reasonable to
handle them explicitly.

Duncan Murdoch