[Rd] Problem with console in Windows GUI (PR#4381)

dmurdoch at pair.com dmurdoch at pair.com
Thu Oct 2 21:39:58 MEST 2003

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 12:58:01 -0400, "Liaw, Andy" <andy_liaw at merck.com>
wrote :

>> From: andrew_zachary at yahoo.com [mailto:andrew_zachary at yahoo.com]

>> The R-console window in the Windows GUI has a nice feature
>> that lets you save your preferences for font sizes and
>> background and foreground colors. Unhappily, there is no way
>> to load these preferences back in when starting a new session.
>
>Have you not noticed the "Save" button?

To expand on that:  by default, Save puts the preferences in a file
called Rconsole in the current directory; on startup, R looks for
Rconsole in the R_USER directory (which defaults to the current
directory), and if it doesn't find one there, in the R_HOME/etc
directory.

However, there's a bug in the current beta:  near the end it writes
out the lines

## Initial position of the graphics window
## (pixels, <0 values from opposite edge)
xgraphics =
ygraphics =

but it can't read those because of the missing values.  I'll try to
get that fixed for 1.8.0.

>> Also, the scroll window for selecting colors is very small
>> and awkward. If I want to select a color which is towards the
>> top or the bottom of the list, I have to scrolls (slowly)
>> through all the entries to get to it. Would make more sense
>> to have a color window with user-selectable colors.

That would make sense, but it's not likely to happen (and certainly
won't for 1.8.0):  we've more or less stopped adding features to the
current Rgui.  If I (or someone else) ever gets time, I intend to
replace it with an all new one.

Duncan Murdoch