[Rd] Leaving 'Package:' out of description deletes entire library (PR#4398)

ellis at stat.harvard.edu ellis at stat.harvard.edu
Fri Oct 3 04:32:59 MEST 2003

Full_Name: Byron Ellis
Version: R-devel (1.8.0)
OS: OS X
Submission from: (NULL) (209.150.60.78)

I recently left out the 'Package' field out of the DESCRIPTION file (yes, I know
about package.skeleton() ) only to discover that when you leave this out R CMD
INSTALL fails and _deletes the entire library_:

bash-2.05a$ R CMD INSTALL twclust
* Installing *source* package '' ...
Error in .installPackageDescription(".", "/Users/bellis/sandbox/R/library/") :
        required fields missing from DESCRIPTION: Package
Execution halted
ERROR: installing package DESCRIPTION failed
** Removing '/Users/bellis/sandbox/R/library/'