[Rd] a bug of function plot (PR#4405)

Stefano Iacus jago at mclink.it
Sat Oct 4 12:30:34 MEST 2003

On Sabato, ott 4, 2003, at 04:56 Europe/Rome, xzhao at stat.wvu.edu wrote:

> Full_Name: Ximing Zhao
> Version: R 1.7.1
> OS: MacOs X
> Submission from: (NULL) (64.136.27.51)
>

> When I used function plot in R 1.7.1, I found two bugs.
> My whole function is this:
> *****************
> drawexp<-function(X,x,c,b){
> exp<-function28(X,x,c,b)
> if(max(exp)>=max(dexp(x,rate=1))){
> plot(x,exp, type="l",main= paste("Exponential ,n=",length(X),"
> c=",round(c,2),"b=",b),sub="X=exp(rate=1)")
> lines(x,dexp(x,rate=1),col="red",type="l")
> lines(density(X,width="SJ-dpi",n=1000,from=0.1,to=4),lty=2,col="blue")
> }
> else{
> plot(x,dexp(x,rate=1),col="red",type="l",main= paste("Exponential
> ,n=",length(X)," c=",round(c,2),"b=",b),sub="X=exp(rate=1)")
> lines(x,exp, type="l")
> lines(density(X,width="SJ-dpi",n=1000,from=0.1,to=4),lty=2,col="blue")
> }
> text(3,0.35,"-- theoretical",col="red",adj=c(0,0))
> text(3,0.3,"-- moment type", adj=c(0,0))
> text(3,0.25, "-- Kernel type", col="blue", adj=c(0,0))
> }
>
> function28<-function(X,x,c,b){
> est<-function(X,x,alfa){
> fx<-(1/gamma(alfa))*((alfa-1)/x)*(alfa*X/x)^(alfa-1)*exp(-alfa*X/x)
> fx
> }
> n<-length(X)
> result<-colSums(sapply(x,function(x){est(X,x,alfa=(n^c)*log(n)^b)}))/
> length(X)
> result
> }
>
> X1<-rexp(100)
>
> x1<-seq(0.1,4,length=100)
>
> Run the function like this:
>
> drawexp(X1,x1,0,0.5)
>
> ***************
>
> For
> "lines(density(X,width="SJ-
> dpi",n=1000,from=0.1,to=4),lty=2,col="blue")",
> only lty=1 works, lty=2 and others don't work. I tried the function in
> 1.6.2
> before,
> it was alright. So I am positive it's a bug. Please check.

are you referring to which version of R for MacOSX. Till 1.7.1 there
were two versions: darwin/X11 and Carbon port of R both running under
OSX.

In darwin/X11 the quartz device has never worked correctly wrt to lty,
symbol fonts and ISOLatin/MacRoman related display. All of this has
been fixed and many new features has been implemented for the quartz
device int he forthcoming release 1.8.0 of R.
If you were using Carbon R, than probably also using the macintosh()
device. In this case lty was only partly working. In any case this
device is no longer used by any port of R since 1.7.1 is the last
release of Carbon R.
There is now a new darwin port of R which has an Aqua gui. This version
is intended to replace the old Carbon R.
It is called RAqua and you'll find it on CRAN under the bin/macosx dir
_after_ R-1.8.0 is relased.

If you where talking about X11, this lty problems seems not to be
there. Have you also the latest X11 window manager from apple?

In any case, please be more precise on all the parts of your
configurations that are relevant wrt to the claimed bug, otherwise we
cannot be helpful to you and we hardly understand if and where there is
a bug.

stefano