[Rd] Unpredictable EPS->PDF rotation (PR#4460)

arnima at u.washington.edu arnima at u.washington.edu
Wed Oct 8 06:01:51 MEST 2003

Dear r-bugs,

When I create EPS files, they sometimes appear rotated in my LaTeX PDF
document and sometimes they don't. Two examples:

## x1.eps is not rotated in LaTeX
x <- seq(-1, 1, length=100)
postscript("c:/x1.eps", height=3, width=4,
           horizontal=FALSE, onefile=FALSE, paper="special")
plot(x, dnorm(x), type="l")
dev.off()

## x2.eps is not rotated in LaTeX
x <- seq(-2, 2, length=100)
postscript("c:/x2.eps", height=3, width=4,
           horizontal=FALSE, onefile=FALSE, paper="special")
plot(x, dnorm(x), type="l")
dev.off()

By LaTeX PDF, I am referring to the dvips->ghostscript pathway, but x2.eps
also rotates when distilled into PDF outside LaTeX. I have tried
ghostscript and acrobat, placed on a page or cropped, so the problem does
not seem to be confounded with particular PDF distillation software.

I'm aware of the pdf() device in R, but EPS files are a widely used format
to share scientific graphics, often winding up embedded in a PDF document
at a later point in the hands of an editor.

If at all possible, a more predictable postscript generator would be
appreciated, where EPS figures would not rotate when embedded in PDF
documents.

Regards,
Arni

OS:   Windows XP