[Rd] building XML-0.95-1 on MacOS

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at research.bell-labs.com
Thu Oct 9 11:48:22 MEST 2003

Hi Sean.

  Two things. There is a new version of the XML package
now on the Omegahat web site:

  http://www.omegahat.org/RSXML/XML_0.95-3.tar.gz

That uses a different approach to dealing with errors and avoids
having to redefine the xmlParserError() routine.  As a result,
one should not need the -m flag.

Secondly, unless there are good reasons for using
libxml-1.8.*, it is preferrable to use the libxml2-2*
series.

The configuration for this version of the XML package has been
"upgraded", but may require some assistance.  If it doesn't compile
out of the box, please set the environment variable XML_CONFIG to the
name of the xml-config or xml2-config script that provides the
relevant information. I'll fix this up in the next release.

 D.