[Rd] Console in RGui does not do CR on \r (PR#4705)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 21 17:00:04 MEST 2003

Not a bug, but intentional.  To be a bug, it would need to
be documented to work, and it is not.

In Rgui other threads (e.g. a tcltk button) can be writing to the console
too.  Implementing \r would be very complicated, and not worthwhile
(Windows has a perfectly good progress-meter widget!)

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 david.lenn at rtsson.com wrote:

> Full_Name: David Lennartsson
> Version: 1.7.1, 1.8.0
> OS: Windows XP
> Submission from: (NULL) (62.119.45.80)
>

> A very minor bug, but here it comes. On doing something as simple as cat("1st
> test string\r2nd\n") the console in RGui on Windows do not perform a CR on '\r'.
> This is very annoying if you for example want to have a simple progress meter
> when running a batch job. It works fine in Rterm.

I tis nothing to do with Rterm, but terminal in which Rterm is running.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk