[Rd] proposal for "strict" versions of subsetting operators

Tony Plate tplate at blackmesacapital.com
Tue Oct 28 18:37:54 MET 2003

I suspect that it would break too much existing code to make all
subscripting behave in a "strict" manner.  However, I wonder if it would be
possible to use namespaces and packages to make a particular package get
strict versions of subscripting operators?  It would have to be done in
such a way that functions called in a different package would use the
appropriate subscripting behavior for their package.  This might be a way
to manage a transition to strict subscripting.  However, I suspect that
this would all be extremely confusing to users.

-- Tony Plate