[Rd] R installation problems on Windows XP (PR#4842)

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Thu Oct 30 05:01:42 MET 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:27:20 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>Hi Prof. Ripley,
>
>I'm sorry. The error message in the previous email was from R1.7.1, but
>for R1.8, it still had the same problem. Sorry for the confusion since I
>tested both versions and copied and pasted the wrong version.
>
>Yes, I did read the bug message 3364 and your reply to that message. But I
>didn't see any further feedback of this message from the user as I need to
>consider the time I'm going to spend reinstalling the OS and all other
>softwares. It's about several day's full time job work. In that message,
>you said the video driver or utility might cause problems. I guess I may
>have to remove the utility and video and reinstall to see if it works.

My guess would be that it's either the video driver or the currently
installed version of msvcrt.dll.  I'd try those first.  We've also had
problems with keyboard utilities (I don't know what they did; they
might be for recording macros?)

Unfortunately, your problem is very rare, and you're the only one who
really has any chance of diagnosing it.  It may indeed be time
consuming.

Duncan Murdoch