[Rd] solve.Matrix() not found (PR#4887)

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 31 15:43:09 MET 2003

To elaborate a bit - the reason that the behavior of the Matrix
package changed is because I uploaded a new version that has a
NAMESPACE file.  One result, as Brian Ripley points out, is that
direct calls to method functions, such as

 solve.Matrix(foo, bar)

that previously were acceptable now result in errors.  This call would
only produce a useful result if inherits(foo, "Matrix") is TRUE, in
which case it is equivalent to

 solve(foo, bar)

(unless another method for "solve" would take precedence).  This
version continues to work as expected - at least I hope so.

The moral of the story is that you should call the generic function,
not the method function.

This change is the first stage in a major rewrite of the Matrix
package that will include

 - a switch from the underlying lapack++ code, which is
   no longer under active development, to C code such as cblas and
   clapack and, perhaps, FLAME
                 http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/flame

 - switch to S4 classes and methods

 - addition of sparse matrix methods based on TAUCS, UMFPACK, AMD,
   and, perhaps, METIS

 - moving the pdMat classes from the lme4 package to the Matrix
   package which I think is a more natural place for them.

Stay tuned.