[Rd] Last line in .Rprofile must have newline (PR#4056)

hb at maths.lth.se hb at maths.lth.se
Wed Sep 3 10:08:48 MEST 2003

Full_Name: Henrik Bengtsson
Version: R v1.7.1
OS: WinXP Pro, Solaris 9
Submission from: (NULL) (130.235.2.229)

A colleague of mine who is new to R had problems setting up his .Rprofile and we
tracked it down to the following. On both WinXP and Solaris with Rv1.7.1 we
noticed that the *last* line in .Rprofile has to have a *newline* to be
evaluated. For instance, starting R with the following .Rprofile:

 a <- 1 <newline>
 b <- 2

will only set the variable 'a'. Adding a newline to the second line will set 'b'
too. FYI: I browsed through ?.Rprofile and R-intro.html to see if it was
document, but it does not seem so. I also checked with the behavior of source()
too, but there a newline is not required.

Best wishes

Henrik Bengtsson
Lund University