[Rd] With the recent OS changes (windows 2000) necessitated by (PR#4189)

ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Sep 16 16:14:05 MEST 2003

ggruene at lumc.edu wrote:

> With the recent OS changes (windows 2000) necessitated by various worms, etc, I have now been receiving this error message when I run update and I am not sure how I can correct.
>

>>update.packages()
>>trying URL `http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/PACKAGES'
>
> Error in download.file(url = paste(contriburl, "PACKAGES", sep = "/"),  :
>         cannot open: HTTP status was `404'

That's not a bug - neither in Windows nor in R!

The Windows binary versions of contributed packages for R < 1.7.0 have
been moved. It has been announced on r-announce (hence also on r-help),
and it's mentioned in
   Your-CRAN-Mirror/bin/windows/contrib/ReadMe,
that you should upgrade to a recent version of R (you have not told it,
but you are using R < 1.7.0).

You can still get the packages from
   Your-CRAN-Mirror/bin/windows/contrib/1.6

Also read
   Your-CRAN-Mirror/bin/windows/contrib/1.6/ReadMe
that these packages won't be updated any more (and have not been for
quite some time now).

Uwe Ligges