[Rd] RAqua too hungry of cpu time

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Tue Sep 16 12:35:40 MEST 2003

On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 10:24 AM, Stefano Iacus wrote:

> It seems that RAqua consumes too much cpu time when doing nothing.
> I can't see exactly why this is happening. We have few days to fix
> this up. Any idea (after having look at the code) would be fine.

Well, it happens exactly what the code says ;). RAqua is spending all
the time in those loops like this one:

    while(!InputFinished & !HaveBigBuffer)
         Raqua_ProcessEvents();

(This one comes from Raqua_ReadConsole)

Since in Raqua_ProcessEvents you simply call ReceiveNextEvent with
kEventDurationNoWait, the function returns almost immediately and is
called again ... so in effect you are hogging 100% CPU. I'd suggest
using either some sensible timeout or kEventDurationForever.

Cheers,
Simon

---
Simon Urbanek
Department of computer oriented statistics and data analysis
Universitätsstr. 14
86135 Augsburg
Germany

Tel: +49-821-598-2236