[Rd] couldn't find function "setClass"

John Chambers jmc at research.bell-labs.com
Tue Sep 16 16:08:33 MEST 2003

Jeff Gentry wrote:

> Hello ...
>
> With a new checkout of R-devel (last update was 2003-09-11) we are having
> a problem (it seems to be happening to all of us here on a few different
> machines) where during install/check/etc when the 'save image' happens (in
> packages using 'save image'):
>
> ** save image
> Error: couldn't find function "setClass"
> Execution halted
>
> This is for all packages that are using classes.
>
> Is anyone else having this problem?

With packages that do NOT have a namespace but DO have saved images,
yes. (!)

The problem seems to be that the current version of INSTALL doesn't end
up with library(methods) in this branch (related to --vanilla ?).  One
workaround seem to be to change INSTALL (or scripts/INSTALL.in) as
follows:

522c522
<       code_cmd="eval cat \"${code_file}\""
---
>       code_cmd="eval echo \"library(methods)\"; cat \"${code_file}\""

to explicitly attach the library.  This may in fact be the right fix,
but I'm confused as to why this is happening now.

(For me it also works to not use saved images.)

John

John M. Chambers                  jmc at bell-labs.com
Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies    office: (908)582-2681
700 Mountain Avenue, Room 2C-282  fax:    (908)582-3340
Murray Hill, NJ  07974            web: http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/~jmc