[Rd] build in directory different from source

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 25 11:20:55 MEST 2003

Hi Paul,

    PaulG> When I configure and make R-devel in a directory
    PaulG> other than the one where I keep the source, there are
    PaulG> a few top level files which are not copied to the
    PaulG> build directory.  The ones I use are VERSION and
    PaulG> date-stamp, to help keep track of what I am testing.

That information of these too is combined into
src/include/Rversion.h
(though in C- rather human- readable form).

If R has been built, it's most easily via
   bin/R --version
or more concisely via  sed -n '/^version="/s///p' bin/R

Regards,
Martin