[Rd] homepage should not use frames (PR#4316)

andyj at tazman.princeton.edu andyj at tazman.princeton.edu
Fri Sep 26 23:47:17 MEST 2003

Howdy,

        I really, really don't want to spark a flame war or anything,
        and please let me stress beforehand that I appreciate all the
        volunteer (!) work that goes into R and into
        www.r-project.org, but...I personally find that the framed
        access to web resources is annoyingly difficult to use.

        Chief among my several complaints is that I can't easily
        bookmark a particular destination once I've navigated to it.
        I find myself going through a four-page navigation everytime I
        want to check the r-help archives, for instance.  Or when I go
        to my "back" button menu, I get a list of 20 undifferentiated
        www.r-project.org links.  I won't trouble you with more
        detail, but I would like to point out a more thorough
        set of anti-frame arguments at
        http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil

        If I'm missing some blindingly obvious way to avoid using
        frames, or to work more easily with them, I apologize for
        my ignorance, and would appreciate corrective advice.  I must
        also admit that I don't know enough about html to suggest an
        alternative.

        Best,

                Andy

--
Andy Jacobson

andyj at splash.princeton.edu

Program in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
Sayre Hall, Forrestal Campus
Princeton University
PO Box CN710 Princeton, NJ 08544-0710 USA

Tel: 609/258-5260  Fax: 609/258-2850

--please do not edit the information below--

Version:
 platform = i686-pc-linux-gnu
 arch = i686
 os = linux-gnu
 system = i686, linux-gnu
 status =
 major = 1
 minor = 7.1
 year = 2003
 month = 06
 day = 16
 language = R

Search Path:
 .GlobalEnv, package:methods, package:ctest, package:mva, package:modreg, package:nls, package:ts, Autoloads, package:base