[Rd] Adding Tk extensions to R for windows

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Tue Sep 30 20:43:22 MEST 2003

On Tuesday, September 30, 2003, at 03:42 PM, Marsland, John wrote:

> necessary for win32 systems. I got more interested when I started
> thinking
> about Rpvm and all the spare win32 boxes sitting around - curently this
> package only works for unix/linux systems. My guess is that an awful
> lot
> more of the R project could be made non-platform-specific if this
> route is
> followed.

FYI: Rpvm itself is fairly platform-independent. I had a quick glance
at rpvm on Win32 quite recently. It compiled fine, the only serious
problem I had was at link-time due to the fact that PVM itself has no
shared library that could be easily used with MinGW (talking about the
official binary version). Rpvm needed hardly any touchups. Presumably
compiling PVM with MinGW should solve the issue and rpvm should work
almost out of the box. Actually this shows that R makes it possible for
developers to 'accidentally' produce packages that work on Windows even
though they were developed for unix machines ;).

Cheers,
Simon