[Rd] problem compiling R-1.9.0beta with PGI compilers on amd64

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Fri Apr 2 18:16:33 CEST 2004

Dear R-devel,

I'm trying to compile R-1.9.0beta (2004-03-31) with the PGI compilers
(15-day free evaluation:  after the 15 days the binaries will stop working).
I'm running into some problems, that I hope some can offer pointers.

1. After configure, the FLIBS include /usr/local/lib' --- note the extra '.
I had to manually delete it in a couple of places.

In a previous thread on compiling R with ifc/icc, Saikat wrote:
===
The problem is in the AC_F77_LIBRARY_LDFLAGS macro. It guesses the linker
flags by passing a verbose option (-v for ifc) to the compiler. For ifc this
produces a multiline output, one line continued to the next by a \
character. It also contains some " characters. These together produces the
wrong results. We can fix this by removing all \ and " from the variable
ac_f77_v_output in that macro. I am not sure if this breaks anything in
other compilers.
===
Seems like this is related.

2. `make' ran fine, until I get:
make[3]: Leaving directory `/u1/scratch/R-1.9.0/src/library/ts'
installing parsed NAMESPACE files
make[2]: *** [R] Error 139
make[2]: Leaving directory `/u1/scratch/R-1.9.0/src/library'
make[1]: *** [R] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/u1/scratch/R-1.9.0/src'
make: *** [R] Error 1

Does anyone know what might be causing this error?

Also, if I then run `bin/R', I just get a segfault.  Is this expected?  (I
thought not, since it's at the package building stage...)

TIA!

Andy
--
Andy Liaw, PhD
Biometrics Research      PO Box 2000, RY33-300