[Rd] NAMESPACE directives ?

Thomas Stabla statho3 at web.de
Mon Apr 5 19:01:11 CEST 2004

Hello,

I've built the package distr (see link below) successfully with R 1.8.1
and R 1.9.0 beta (under Linux).
As to make the package compatible to R 1.8.1 / 1.9.0, I have to use two
different NAMESPACE files.

For 1.8.1 it has to contain

  import("methods")
  import("stepfun")

and for 1.9.0 the "import"-part has to be

  import("methods")
  import("stats")
  import("graphics")

As a consequence, I can't use the package built with 1.8.1 / 1.9.0
under 1.9.0 / 1.8.1, respectively.

I've read the NAMESPACE section (1.6 Package name space) in Writing R
Extensions (the newest version from R-devel/doc/manual) which says:

> Note that although the file looks like R code (and often has R-style
> comments) it is not processed as R code and no conditional processing is
> currently supported.

Is there any way to make the packages built with one version compatible to
the other one?

Best Regards,
Thomas Stabla

http://www.uni-bayreuth.de/departments/math/org/mathe7/DISTR/