[Rd] axis annotation issue (PR#6758)

dgrove at fhcrc.org dgrove at fhcrc.org
Tue Apr 13 01:45:58 CEST 2004

Full_Name: Doug Grove
Version: 1.8.1 Patched (1-11-04)
OS: Linux, RedHat 9.0
Submission from: (NULL) (140.107.156.61)

The issue may be broader than this, but I'm finding that when I
specify that the axis annotation be perpendicular to the axes, and
I change the annotation size (using cex.axis) the character size
inflation/deflation occurs in only one direction, from the bottom up.
More precisely, if you were to plot using cex.axis all is good, but if
you shrink or expand, the position of the bottom of the character(s)
stay fixed and the top of the character(s) move to create the
appropriate size.  The end effect is a annotation that is not centered
about the tick mark.  In the particular case of decreasing the size,
it gives the appearance that the label is shifted (I spent a few hours
one day trying to "fix" my code thinking I had done something wrong).

To see the issue just compare these three plots:

plot(1:5, 1:5, cex.axis=1, las=2)
plot(1:5, 1:5, cex.axis=.5, las=2)
plot(1:5, 1:5, cex.axis=2, las=2)

I'm not sure that this is a "bug", but I was not able to find
a simple way to correct this behaviour.

Thanks,
Doug Grove