[Rd] Re: [R] Unexpected behaviour of identical (PR#6799)

Tony Plate tplate at blackmesacapital.com
Tue Apr 20 17:50:28 CEST 2004

AFAIK identical() first introduced by Chambers in "Programming with
data"?  On p262 he writes:

identical: The two objects must be exactly equal in all respects; if not
identical returns FALSE
all.equal: The two objects are expected to be identical up to small
differences that might be considered irrelevant...

Taken literally, this would seem to argue against identical() treating
attributes as a set (unless one were to tighten up the definition of
attributes in Section 2.2 of the R Language Definition to explicitly state
that attributes are to be treated as an unordered set).

However, given the primary use of identical() on complex objects is in
software testing, and AFAIK no software depends on the order of attributes,
I still think it would be reasonable for attributes to be treated as a set
by identical().  (Unless anyone can show that it's important to recognize
order of attributes in some code.)

I'm proposing a more general fix for this problem because I strongly
suspect that factor subsetting is not the only thing that can change the
order of attributes, and because I've wasted many hours tracking down
problems that turned out to be caused by problems with data.dump() and
identical() in S-plus.  Another possible fix might be for the attr() and
attributes() replacement functions to store attributes as a sorted list.  I
don't know if this would be easy or difficult to implement, or what
consequences it might have in terms of existing tests that involve printed
output of attributes.

-- Tony Plate