[Rd] optim-Bug (PR#6720)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 21 20:32:35 CEST 2004

I think S_alloc is little used (at least in R), but I have altered it to
use memset in R-devel. As I understand it all decent compilers recognize
memset calls and try to inline them with optimized code (probably even
optimizing the bzero case).

On 21 Apr 2004, Douglas Bates wrote:

> Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
> > Zeroing the workspace is not a requirement of the original L-BFGS-B code
> > that I can see.  Given that it was originally in Fortran, and Fortran
> > often does zero it seems a likely symptom, but it does mean that a
> > variable is being used uninitialized somewhere in the code (converted to
> > C).  It would be better to leave vect alone and to zero the workspace with
> > a memset call in lbfgsb.  (Incidentally, I don't know why S_alloc does not
> > use memset -- we do require standard C and use in several other places.)
>
> I had planned to suggest that we use memset more widely and perhaps
> add a macro Memset, defined like the current Memcpy, to R_ext/RS.h.  I
> felt that memset was likely to be more efficient for zeroing large
> areas of memory than running a loop would be.  Recently Peter Dalgaard
> and Andy Liaw and I discussed this with regard to a test to see if
> vectors using more than 4 GB of memory could be allocated on an
> Opteron.  Andy installed my suggested modification to do_makevector to
> use memset for zeroing freshly allocated vectors and found that the
> running time for a test on an Opteron/Linux system actually increased.
> It appears that, at least on that system, memset runs a loop at the
> level of characters.

(You mean char* bytes?  S_alloc was a byte-level loop, but looking in the
headers suggest that gcc3 has optimized inlined code for memset(s, 0, n).)

> I still think it would be a good idea to use memset but we would want
> to do some timing comparisons to make sure we don't slow things down.

That's very machine- and compiler- dependent though.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk