[Rd] trellis.device in .First (PR#6812)

dmurdoch at pair.com dmurdoch at pair.com
Fri Apr 23 12:56:50 CEST 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:08:56 -0400, "Richard M. Heiberger"
<rmh at temple.edu> wrote:

>This is a start of R 1.9.0 in a directory without .RData
>

>> options(STERM='iESS', editor='gnuclient.exe')
>> search()
>[1] ".GlobalEnv"       "package:methods"  "package:stats"    "package:graphics"
>[5] "package:utils"    "Autoloads"        "package:base"
>> find(windows)
>[1] "package:graphics"
>>

>This makes me think that the .First is being processed before some of the other
>initializations.  I had been assuming it is the very last thing done before it gives me
>control.

Yes, see ?Startup for the details.  I think the startup sequence
hasn't changed in 1.9.0 (though the documentation for it is now more
accurate), but the rearrangement of packages means that things that
worked before in .First won't work now.

>on the q() issue, I report it as a continuation of behavior that has been discussed
>on this list.  I don't remember when.  It has been an issue for me for a long time.
>I am currently on XP HOME, I see this also on NT4.
>
>I normally type just q()
>This time I tried q("no").
>
>It still freezes. I have to enter C-G to unfreeze emacs and then use the Task Manager
>to kill the Rterm process.

Sorry, didn't notice the earlier discussion.  Sounds like an
interaction with ESS.

Which Emacs are you using (and perhaps, where can I get it?  I have
XEmacs installed on one machine, but not this one).

Duncan Murdoch