[Rd] is.na(valid_date) too often true on SGI MIPS (PR#6814)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Apr 24 14:32:03 CEST 2004

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, George N. White III wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> > > Not sure what you mean -- are you saying "make check" passes on
> > > other Irix systems?
> >
> > We don't have an Irix system on which they fail _AND_ your examples
> > are not in the R sources. N.B. as.Date and is.na(strptime()) are not the
> > same code, and your second example is still not explained.
>
> I assume the second example refers to the NA+NaN vs NaN+NA, evidence that
> the system is not doing arithmetic the same way it is done by mainstream
> platforms.

No. You claimed `"make check" fails in 2 places' and said the second was

> d<-strptime("1970/1/1", "%Y/%m/%d")
> is.na(d)
[1] FALSE
[1] "1970-01-01"

and that is not an example of

> "make check" fails in 2 places due to is.na(..) returning TRUE for valid
dates:

since

1) It is not in make check  (nor is your first example)
2) The date is valid
3) is.na returns FALSE.

In short, I cannot see anything wrong about that example, and it
seems it is you and not Irix and not R who has a problem with it.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk