[Rd] package fdim slopeopt error (PR#6819)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Apr 26 02:07:22 CEST 2004

"Liaw, Andy" <andy_liaw at merck.com> writes:

> > From: Fred J. [mailto:phddas at yahoo.com]
> >
> > thanks Andy
> > last paragraph of the link you indicated
> > " Bug reports on contributed packages should perhaps
> > be sent to the package maintainer rather than to
> > R-bugs. "
> > the maintainer (Francisco Javier Martinez de Pison.
> > francisco.martinez at dim.unirioja.es) has a bad email
> > address and therefore can't be reached.
>
> Then the package will probably get the "orphaned" status.  If/when it no
> longer passes package checks for new version of R, it will disappear from
> the main CRAN directory.
>
> Basically the package author/maintainer is the only person who can supply
> patched version of the package, and probably the best qualified person to do
> so, too.  There's no use filing to R-bugs for bugs in contributed packages.
> Do you really expect the R Core developers to fix bugs in contributed
> packages?

Actually, the bug repository has a folder called Add-ons into which we
can file reports on externally maintained packages. However, we
haven't had much input from package maintainers about the status of
these reports, and that is why we tend to prefer that users contact
maintainers directly. Perhaps with a better bug management system....