(PR#6830) Re: [Rd] 'R CMD build' fails when there are spaces in the path (PR#6830)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Apr 28 15:33:24 CEST 2004

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> > > Note that it *does* work under Windows (via mapping names to short
> > > names without spaces), so we should take care not to break that (and I
> > > think adding quotes will as the shell quoting rules appear to be are
> > > different).
> >
> > I thought that R_system() would portably invoke a Bourne shell?
>
> No, it is ash on Windows, which is not quite Bourne.

Well, at least it isn't CMD.EXE. Enclosing things in double quotes
does seem to work with ash (at least what RedHat calls ash):

$ X="abc def"
$ cat > "$X"
bla bla
$ cat $X
cat: abc: No such file or directory
cat: def: No such file or directory
$ cat "$X"
bla bla

BTW, I had the displeasure of having to use the ash command line
recently (teaching compiling and package building on a system where
the control freaks^W^Wsystem administrators had disabled CMD.EXE). Is
there a better way?