[Rd] checkS3methods() change

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
Tue Aug 17 12:09:08 CEST 2004

Hi,

I'm using rw2000dev.exe (Win32) built on August 14.

If this isn't already planned, can I suggest that when
checkS3methods() (called by R CMD check) fails because of
a syntax error in a dependent package listed in the DESCRIPTION
file of the main package being checked, it would be nice if
checkS3methods() reported which dependent package caused it to
fail?

Running R CMD check on my package limmaGUI, revealed a syntax
error in one of limmaGUI's dependent packages, which turned out
to be the R2HTML package (after a bit of sleuthing).

Here's the syntax error in R2HTML, caused by the new parsing
rules for associative use of relational operators:

  x0 <- xm[okP] == 0 != (as.numeric(Cf[okP]) == 0)

The R2HTML package (version 1.3) was installed with:
> install.packages("R2HTML")
trying URL `http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.0/PACKAGES'

Here's the tail of the R CMD check output for limmaGUI:

* checking R files for syntax errors ... OK
* checking R files for library.dynam ... OK
* checking S3 generic/method consistency ... WARNING
Error in .try_quietly({ : Error in parse(file, n, text, prompt) : syntax error on line 446
Execution halted
See section 'Generic functions and methods' of the 'Writing R Extensions' manual.
* checking replacement functions ... WARNING
Error in .try_quietly({ : Error in parse(file, n, text, prompt) : syntax error on line 446
Execution halted
In R, the argument of a replacement function which corresponds
to the right hand side must be named 'value'.
* checking foreign function calls ... WARNING
Error in .try_quietly({ : Error in parse(file, n, text, prompt) : syntax error on line 446
Execution halted
See section 'System and foreign language interfaces' of the
'Writing R Extensions' manual.
* checking Rd files ... OK
* checking for missing documentation entries ... ERROR
Error in .try_quietly({ : Error in parse(file, n, text, prompt) : syntax error on line 446

Regards,
James