[Rd] mtext adj= wrong with several las= (PR#7188)

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Aug 24 22:44:13 CEST 2004

Hi

Uwe Ligges wrote:
> Paul Murrell wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>

>> Uwe Ligges wrote:

>>> Having looked into the code, there are three possible solution (all with
>>> some drawbacks) I can see. Well, the current argument "adj" becomes
>>> "xadj" in the C sources (graphics.c, GMtext), and "yadj" is set to 0.
>>> Hence the ugly hard coded LineBias of 0.3.
>>>

>>> Solutions
>>> =========
>>> 1: Hardcode "yadj" to 0.5 and remove all those 0.3 biases. Looks good
>>> for axes, but it might break some code --> bad.
>>> On the other hand, GMMathText has hardcoded yadj=0.5. Is there a
>>> problem with some special devices? Or any other reason not to center
>>> stuff using "adj=0.5"?
>>>
>>> 2: Allow the typical 2-value adj, take the first as xadj, the second one
>>> as yadj. This might break some code, because currently adj of
>>> arbitrary length (!=0) is allowed and recycled.
>>>
>>> 3: Invent an argument "padj" for mtext() that represents adjustment
>>> *p*erpendicular to the text direction and gets mapped to "yadj" in
>>> GMtext. In that case the hardcoded 0.3 bias mentioned above can be
>>> removed. The question is whether to set the default to 0.5 (will still
>>> break code, but easily to fix by setting padj to 0).
>>>
>>> I'd like to propose the third solution and would be happy to provide a
>>> patch of GMText, including corresponding patches to GMMathText, as
>>> well as mtext(), title() and axis() (and their inderlying do_*
>>> components).
>>>
>>> Are there any objections? Any reasons not to do it?
>>

>> It hurts my head to think about this stuff.  There are so many
>> combinations to worry about:
>> (i)   The las setting
>> (ii)  The axis (bottom, left, top, right)
>> (iii) Whether adj has been specified
>> (iv)  Whether the text is multi-line
>>
>> I think mtext() does ok as long as adj is not specified and the text
>> is single-line.
>

> Unfortunately it does *not* (using axis() here for simplicity):
>   plot(1:10)
>   axis(3, cex.axis=5, las=2)

Good point :)

>> I would suggest addressing the multi-line problem for unspecified adj
>> as a first step.  And I will definitely not mourn the passing of the
>> 0.3 constant.  Setting yadj to 0.5 is not enough though because that
>> doesn't make sense for multi-line text that is parallel to an axis (in
>> that case, yadj should probably be 0 for axis 2 and 3 and 1 for axis 1
>> and 4;  did I mention that there are lots of combinations to worry
>> about?).
>

> I think most of the stuff is already quite pretty.
> The point is whether we are going to distinguish cases for
> (p)adj={0,0.5,1} automatically or not. If the latter, we can omit
> several of the cases mentioned above in (i)-(iv).
> I think - as the first step - we should set the default to center (note
> that text() does so as well), and let the user change padj for
> multi-line text as required.

I think the ideal would be to set padj automatically for multi-line text
as well as single-line text (the current behaviour tries to set padj
automatically for single-line text;  it's just not very good at it :).
But whatever first step is good;  then we can more easily discuss actual
behaviour and code examples.

> I'll try to provide a collection of patches as a proposal within, say,
> two weeks.

Great (modulo version scheduling issues discussed elsewhere).
Thanks Uwe!

Paul

--
Dr Paul Murrell