[Rd] (PR#7199) function bug

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Aug 24 23:47:10 CEST 2004

Peter Kleiweg <kleiweg at let.rug.nl> writes:

> rpeng at jhsph.edu schreef:
>
> > This is a misunderstanding, I think, not a bug.  R is using partial
> > matching and the `2', since it is not named, is being sent through the
> > `...'.
>
> That is not very sensible behaviour, and it certainly doesn't
> explain why 2 is set equal to 3.

It isn't. The arguments are switched around. Like plot(1,x=0) plots a
point at (0,1), a fact that is sometimes used in connection with the
apply()-family of functions.

Given that we allow partial matching, this effect is pretty much
unavoidable. However, the partial matching is probably a feature
regretted by its designer for reasons of examples like this. Trying to
remove the feature from the language at this stage is going to be
pretty painful!