[Rd] Problem with R --gui=GNOME when launched from a menu system

Tue Aug 31 17:48:28 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 08:55, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> Brian,
>
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 02:21:40PM +0100, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> > What are stdin/stdout/stderr connected to when you do that? R --gui=GNOME
> > does write certain error messages (from GDK/GTK) to the controlling
> > terminal so you may need one, at least if there is an error/warning.
> >
> > I see gnome_start in src/modules/gnome/system.c has
> >
> >     R_Interactive = isatty(0);
> >
> > I would think that was blind copying.  Please see if setting it to 1
> > helps.
>
> Excellent suggestion, I'll try that this eve.
>
> Thanks as always,  Dirk

FWIW, no default change in behavior here under XFCE4 when using the run
dialog or in a desktop menu with the above source change.

However, if I run 'xfrun4' (which is the XFCE4 run app dialog) from a
console and then run the R GNOME/GUI command in the dialog, it now
works. So it would seem that a controlling console is required.

Supporting that notion, if I use the following command in a bash script:

gnome-terminal -e "R --gui=GNOME --no-save"

then the R GNOME/GUI runs properly when I click on the script in ROX.

The same thing if I use that script file in the desktop run application
dialog, either directly by name or use the actual command in the dialog
window.

I changed the source file above back to the original setting and this
does not impact the use of the above script. It still works.

The downside to the above is of course an open terminal window on the
desktop.

I tried some combinations of redirecting stdout/stderr, for example:

R --gui=GNOME --no-save 1>/dev/null 2>&1

or

R --gui=GNOME --no-save 1>stdout.txt 2>stderr.txt

but this does not appear to be a solution. The window still clears.

HTH,

Marc