[Rd] Wishlist: heatmap/image legend (PR#7402)

epurdom at stanford.edu epurdom at stanford.edu
Sat Dec 4 00:52:30 CET 2004

Full_Name: Elizabeth Purdom
Version: 1.9.1
OS: Windows XP
Submission from: (NULL) (171.64.102.199)

It would be great if heatmap and/or image had the option of printing a legend
bar on it somewhere that would indicate the ranges given by the colors in the
heatmap (i.e. a very small image rectangle with the same colors as in the
heatmap). Because heatmap is using layout, it seems pretty complicated to add
yourself--I make my own myheatmap command.

A lesser wish, along the same line, would be that with the optional side bar
colors you could put a legend in the plot somehow. Again, I find it difficult to
do without making your own myheatmap command and modifying the layout. And this
seems easy to do spacewise, because there's a "0" in the layout matrix in the
upper left corner over the row dendogram: e.g.
if(!missing(legend.text)){lmat<-lmat+1}

Clearly the plot could be really crowded if you choose all the options, but at
least you'd have the options, and I think they're the devil to do yourself. And
if you could choose the relative widths of the different parts in the layout
(the widths and heights options in the layout command), overriding the other
options, then you could choose how much of the space goes to the different
components.

Thanks,
Elizabeth