[Rd] R stat functions do not work as stated on the mannual (PR#7419)

murdoch at stats.uwo.ca murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Dec 14 12:55:02 CET 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:27:17 +0100 (CET), casadoj at ecc.es wrote:

>Dear R Developers:
>
>I have been playing with R, release 2.0.1 for a week now and have detected =
>that all stat functions related to distribution probabilities have the same=
> problem:
>
>1.- According to the manual the log.p parameter is always the last one.

Yes, but this is not what you were testing.  You seem to have missed
the ncp parameter.  Is there some documentation somewhere that
neglects to mention the ncp parameter?  Where?

>2.- When you use the software, the last parameter seems to be lower.tail
>
>Example:
>
>> pt (1.1, 5)
>[1] 0.8392746
>> pt (1.1, 5, F)
>[1] 0.8392746

Here you're setting ncp=F, not log.p=F or lower.tail=F.  ncp is the
non-centrality parameter.  If you use a logical there, it will be
treated as 0.

>> pt (1.1, 5, F, T)
>[1] 0.8392746

Here you have ncp=F and lower.tail = T.