[Rd] Windows vignettes, shQuote, texi2dvi

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Fri Dec 31 03:48:27 CET 2004

That's interesting but its not in my tree.  I downloaded it
off the net (all 500MB+ !).

Liaw, Andy <andy_liaw <at> merck.com> writes:

:
: I don't know the issue, but a search for texi2dvi under my TeXLive tree
: found a shell script by that name in the directory
: texmf\doc\graphics\texdraw.  Can that be made to work, in conjunction with
: the shell in the Rtool bundle?  Just curious.  (This is fpTeX installed from
: the TeXLive 2004 CD.)
:
: Andy
:
: > From: Gabor Grothendieck
: >
: > From:   Uwe Ligges <ligges <at> statistik.uni-dortmund.de>
: > > Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
: > >
: > > > I noticed a shQuote fix for Windows in the svn logs.
: > > > Just wanted to point out that this will favorably
: > > > affect texi2dvi on Windows which previously used
: > > > UNIX quoting and so generated an incorrect Windows
: > > > command. (Note that texi2dvi is used when creating
: > > > vignettes.)
: > > >
: > > > Another problem is that the recommended tex
: > > > distribution for Windows, fptex, does not have texi2dvi
: > > > in the first place. The alternative, MiKTeX, is harder
: > > > to install
: > >
: > > I heared some people think so, but apparently it is not a
: > big problem.
: >
: > I installed both so I know from experience that MikTex was
: > harder to install.
: >
: > The problem is that its a lot of work to set up a package
: > building environment on Windows. There are numerous systems to
: > install, TeX, UNIX tools, perl, Microsoft Help plus path problems.
: >
: > MikTex is just one
: > more obstacle.  MikTex seems like its a slicker distribution
: > package so its too bad its more work to set up.  The main
: > problems with fptex are not configuration but that (1) the
: > package is so large that it takes a long time to download and
: > (2) its missing crucial elements, viz. texi2dvi.
: >
: > >
: > >
: > > > than fptex but instructions are available
: > > > and it does have an equivalent to texi2dvi called texify.exe;
: > > > however, R still does not know about texify.exe
: > > > resulting in additional installation hassles,
: > > > viz. setting the texi2dvi option or setting up a texi2dvi.bat
: > > > file yourself that calls texify.exe or just forgetting
: > > > about texi2dvi and manually running the necessary tex commands
: > > > when creating vignettes on Windows.
: > >
: > > texi2dvi is also available in MikTeX, see package
: > miktex-texinfo-bin.
: > >
: > > See also ?texi2dvi in R to see how you can set something
: > different, e.g.
: > > "texify", which is explicitly given in the examples.
: > >
: > >
: > >
: > > > There are also additional problems related to using the
: > > > perl package-building scripts in Windows. I can create the
: > > > zoo vignette using:
: > > >
: > > > setwd("...whatever...")
: > > > Sweave("zoo.Rnw")
: > > > texi2dvi("zoo.tex")
: > > >
: > > > provided I modify the source to texi2dvi to use the
: > > > appropriate quoting but even with that modification,
: > > > the perl package build scripts only build
: > > > the vignette as far as the zoo.tex file and I must
: > > > do the rest by hand so there is some problem with
: > > > the scripts or in how they interact with R.
: > >
: > > Are you going to provide a patch?
: >
: > I assume the shQuote change obviates the need for my kludge to
: > texi2dvi.   If it were not written in perl I would have looked
: > at the script part too but relearning perl provides too high
: > an obstacle timewise.  It seems that the direction is to move
: > the scripts to R anyways so I assume perl will ultimately be
: > eliminated from the R distribution simplifying this sort of
: > maintenance.
: >
: > R-devel <at> stat.math.ethz.ch mailing list
: > https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
: >
: >
: