[Rd] R's IO speed

Roger D. Peng rpeng at jhsph.edu
Fri Dec 31 23:57:14 CET 2004

On a ~1.45 million row x 122 column data frame (one "character", one "factor",
and the rest "numeric" columns) I can read it into R 2.0.1 using read.csv() in
about 150 seconds; memory usage is ~1.5 GB.  This is read in using the `nrows',
`comment.char = ""', and `colClasses' arguments.  On R-devel (2004-12-31), it
takes about 120 seconds; memory usage is the same.   Not too shabby!

-roger