[Rd] Spelling (PR#6570)

Latchezar Dimitrov ldimitro at wfubmc.edu
Wed Feb 11 04:57:13 MET 2004

Oxford English Dictionary (online)

Subset, v.

  trans. To underlet, sublet.

  1681 STAIR Inst. Law Scot. I. xiii. 253 As the half may be sub-sett, so any other right less then the value of the half, is sustained as an Infeftment of warrandice. 1752 Scots Mag. Nov. 551/2 A small farm.., which he had subset at about 6 l. Sterling per annum. 1801 Farmer's Mag. Nov. 381 A missive of tack,..which made no mention of assignees,..was..found, neither capable of being assigned, nor subset. 1806 SCOTT Fam. Lett. (1894) I. 35, I have subset the whole of the sheep farm. 1838 W. BELL Dict. Law Scot. 582 To assign or subset a lease of the ordinary endurance of nineteen years.

    b. absol. or intr.

  1801 Farmer's Mag. Nov. 379 A tack of lands does not imply a power, either to assign, or even to subset. 1838 W. BELL Dict. Law Scot. 582 In such leases..an express authority to assign or subset must be given.

    Hence subsetting vbl. n.; subsettable a., capable of being subset.

  a1722 FOUNTAINHALL Decis. I. 454 The axiom against sub-setting is only against an assignment... But a sub-set is lawful, and was so found 12 March 1686. 1765-8 ERSKINE Inst. Law Scot. II. vi. §33 (1773) 265 It remains a doubt, whether the power of subsetting is implied in the nature of a tack, without a special clause. Ibid., By a subset the principal tacksman is not changed. 1801 Farmer's Mag. Nov. 379 All tacks, likewise, that are to subsist for a great length of time, are also assignable, as well as subsettable.

Latchezar Dimitrov

PS. So you better ask non-native English speakers :-)