[Rd] Spelling (PR#6570)

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Wed Feb 11 16:01:16 MET 2004

Roger D. Peng wrote:

> Unfortunately, with English it's conceivable that they're both correct.
> But the double 't' sounds/looks *more* correct to me.
> Of course, this is coming from a native English speaker who is generally
> unfamiliar with the rules of English.
>
> On the other hand:
>
> test --> testable?
> arrest --> arrestable?
> contest --> contestable?
> detest --> detestable?

I expect this case is more like "upset," and I think there are four
important rules.

1/ Is it being used as a noun, adjective, or verb?

2/ It may be done differently in England than it is in the colonies, but
you can't count on it.

3/ No matter which way you do it you are certain to upset someone.

4/ If you do it both ways you may appease everyone, but more likely you
will upset everyone.

HTH,
(I vote for two t's.)
Paul