[Rd] Spelling (PR#6570)

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Mon Feb 16 21:32:38 MET 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 11:20, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

SNIP

> Is this English or American (you know, the language referred to in the USA
> as `English')?  The rules (and usages) for doubling do differ between the
> two languages: they can even differ by meaning for words with two or more
> meanings (and don't ask me for examples as I have forgotten them).
>
> As an English English speaker, my sense and my employer's dictionary both
> suggest doubling here.

I don't know that Peter has made a final decision, but I _think_ that
there was a general consensus on the use of the double "t".

I believe that it was Thomas, who earlier in this thread, suggested that
the English (as in 'not American') spelling is generally preferred in R
documentation, though there is a level of schizophrenia (his word)
regarding some things (ie. color vs. colour, etc.).

Best regards,

Marc