[Rd] R would not quit (bug?) (PR#6600)

ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 19 08:54:12 MET 2004

What happened to the results of R.version?  In particular what OS is this?

It looks like your process ran out of VM space, in which case there is
little it can do but abort (if it can).  It is usually cleaner to kill the
process from the shell.

I am not sure this is a bug in R, but it is not something we can fix at
all easily without a reproducible example.  And it does not look like
something worth spending a lot of time on.

If this is a standard Unix shutdown (as in Rstd_CleanUp), one possibility
is that you had a .Last action trying to save: I can see no reason for
anything else there to be allocating large amounts of memory.  See ?q
for details and how to circumvent this.

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 Michael.C.Herron at dartmouth.edu wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am not sure if this is a bug.

So what does the FAQ ask you to do in that circumstance?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk