[Rd] Math Symbols in plots under Darwin/Panther

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Sat Feb 21 14:16:17 MET 2004

On Feb 19, 2004, at 2:55 AM, stefano iacus wrote:

> I've just committed a new version of the quartz device to R-devel.
> This seems to fix the problem with displaying math symbols in plots
> under Panther.

I gave it a shot on a Jag machine (darwin 6.8), here are my results.

> I can't not more test R under Jaguar (at least not these days). In
> case you have the opportunity to do that, please send me a report if
> it brokes everything under Jaguar (or eventually say "it's ok")

Do we have the chicken-and-egg problem again?
during the build, while building R_X11.so:
ld: can't locate framework for: -framework R

I thought this was fixed a while ago: you can't use -framework R when
building R modules, because R is not installed as a framework yet. I
had proposed the fake framework for building or different flags for
initial build and packages build, but I don't remember which solution
was used in the end - and it seems like none is used in the current
R-devel :P

The quick-and-dirty way to bypass the above is something like this:
sudo bash
# this will fail, but at least create the proper directories
make install
# we need to copy at least the library
mkdir /Library/Frameworks/Versions/1.9.0/Resources/bin
cp bin/libR.dylib /Library/Frameworks/Versions/1.9.0/Resources/bin
cd /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions
ln -s 1.9.0 Current
cd ..
ln -s Versions/Current/Resources/bin/libR.dylib R

now you should be able to re-run make
this is just a hack for those who get stuck and want to test the
R-devel anyway. Fixes for this problem are those discussed before.
(I was away for a week so I didn't test R-devel in the meantime and I
strongly suspect that this is not Jag-dependent)

> A couple of test as example(plotmath) and demo(plotmath) should
> suffice to see if things go smoothly.

Well, define "smoothly" - on the Jag machine I tested the font face is
constant and all math symbols and operators appear as boxes - i.e. the
font is not changed, but no errors or crashes.

Simon