[Rd] "Out of memory" while building R with perl 5.8.2 (PR#6596)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Sat Feb 21 22:21:15 MET 2004

On Feb 17, 2004, at 8:32 PM, vangyzen at stat.duke.edu wrote:

> After updating perl from 5.6.1 to 5.8.2, R no longer builds.
>
> Also note that the build continued even after the failure.  Is that a
> bug or a
> feature?

I recall that the doc-generating perl scripts can use substantial
amount of memory (easily 500MB on my box, for example), so how much
memory do you have? Also 5.8 may have bigger overhead than 5.6
resulting in the use of more memory ... Provided you have less than
512MB, adding VM or preferably real memory should help ;)

This doesn't directly affect the functionality of R except for the help
files that were not built, afaik.

Simon

---
Simon Urbanek
Department of computer oriented statistics and data analysis
Universitätsstr. 14
86135 Augsburg
Germany

Tel: +49-821-598-2236