[Rd] Script editor for Windows GUI

Simon Urbanek Simon.Urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Wed Feb 25 17:41:37 MET 2004

On Feb 25, 2004, at 4:52 PM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> That's very interesting, but as you know Java installation can be quite
> problematic.  (It looks like the current Sun JVM 1.4.2_03 has several
> issues, including not working with the R search engine, and a warning
> on
> mozilla.org about its Windows plugin.)

I'm aware of the problems caused by various JVM versions. Although our
Java code is not directly affected, we plan to supply an optional
installer (for Windows) which will take care of the JVM and install an
appropriate private JRE if necessary.

> We bundled a version of Tcl/Tk with the R Windows binary to try to
> avoid
> compatibility issues, and even then I would prefer a native Windows
> solution for this one.

I'm definitely not against a native editor. I don't want to discourage
Chris, especially if he has already a working prototype. To the
contrary - one implicit point of my post was that we should stay in
contact, since we have implemented an editor as well and thought about
the interface and the features, so we could exchange our experiences.

I also wanted to say that we may want to talk about bigger scope here.
My concern is that the number of scattered GUIs for various platforms
is increasing and each GUI has own interfaces, inconsistent with
others, making it hard to switch between GUIs. If one wants to add
functionality to the 'preferred' GUI then others don't have any benefit
from the extension. A platform-independent GUI would solve this
problem, since an improvement would affect all platforms. Furthermore
using Java, it is possible to offer the quite powerful Java widget set
to R users, seamlessly integrated into the GUI, thus allowing users to
extend the GUI as they please - using R. (Besides, users could even
integrate their own Java code with R, but that's another story...). By
now we also have an own, working Java graphics device allowing us to
achieve really tight integration of all aspects of R. I don't claim
that this should replace the Windows GUI, but I think it might be an
interesting, flexible alternative. I know that the project is all but
easy, nevertheless I believe that we got quite far by now.

Simon

---
Simon Urbanek
Department of computer oriented statistics and data analysis
University of Augsburg
Universitätsstr. 14
86135 Augsburg
Germany