[Rd] Deprecate La.eigen?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 15 11:39:47 MET 2004

I would like to deprecate La.eigen.  It is used in a few packages
(ade4, fpc, gss, mvtnorm and smoothSurv on CRAN), but only in usages where
replacing `La.eigen' by `eigen' would call exactly the same code.

The reason for wanting to deprecate it is that little-used interfaces tend
to get overlooked, e.g. PR#5406, a report on eigen, needed to be applied
to La.eigen as well.  We have also fixed NaNs issues in eigen but not
La.eigen.

Does anyone have code that uses the extra features of eigen?

Brian

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk