[Rd] Wish list

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 19 18:17:39 MET 2004

Are you sure there is a measurable difference in calling methods directly?
The dispatch overhead on formula (one of your uses) appears to be about
10 microseconds.  (Note, negligible even for 10,000 bootstraps.)

I believe we took the real performance penalties into account (and
namespaces had performance pluses as well as minuses).

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:09:58 +0000 (GMT)
> Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:

> > > I need to do that more often.  But sometimes it's hard to know what
> > > things I do that are likely to break.  That's where there needs to be
> > > some other mechanism for user communications.
> >
> > Well, there is a NEWS file that is worth consulting, and we (Kurt in
> > particular) run all the CRAN packages after every major change and
> > daily. See  http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/checkSummary.html.  We
> > do also tend to tell package authors directly if their packages break,
> > at least if they were previously warning-free.
>
> I will start checking NEWS.  The kind of news I need though is more about
> bugs that do not cause the package to break.
>

> > It seems the sort of thing you do is to call methods directly where you
> > could equally well call the generic, since that is what is currently
> > failing in Design and Hmisc (if survfit.km is a survfit method).
>
> The point of calling methods directly is efficiency, otherwise I would not
> use this dirty practice.  When bootstrapping or otherwise calling methods
> repeatedly, I seek the lowest level functions for speed.  This conflicts
> with the namespace idea.  I think this should have been taken into
> consideration when designing namespaces.

> > That's not showing up in failures on the tests under R-patched.  Of the
> > listed dependencies only grid, lattice and survival have namespaces, and
> > only survival has been added since 1.8.1.  (I suspect the R-patched
> > tests are against the 1.8.1 versions of the recommended packages, not
> > the current versions.)
>
> Yes, those are the ones.

> Right
>

> > > That's a good solution in general, but I could see legitimate
> > > disagreements about what should be exported, so this will not always
> > > solve the problem.
> >
> > I think it does.  If the package writer wants a function to be private,
> > would-be users should respect that decision.  Most of the cases we have
> > encountered have been calling methods directly rather than coercing
> > objects to the right class and calling the generic.  In extremis, copy
> > (with permission) the function you want from the package sources and
> > rename it.
>
> That is a possibility.  None of the approaches we've named are without
> maintenance problems.

What is the problem with coercing to the right class and calling the
generic.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk