[Rd] Another wishlist for R

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Tue Jan 27 14:53:02 MET 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:54:38 +0000, Patrick Burns
<pburns at pburns.seanet.com> wrote :

>Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

>>I knew this happened, but I did not know what people wanted.  I can only
>>see this being used interactively (it at all: I would use page), so that
>>seems as good as any.

>I like Duncan's idea.  I doubt I have ever used head on a function
>for real, but tail of a function can be handy for seeing the structure
>of the return value.  I agree that this is only likely to be used
>interactively.

Okay, I'll put in those changes (with Brian's improvement).  One other
one I'll look at:

If a matrix doesn't have row names, I might add names like '[nn,]' to
it, so I get results like

> x <- matrix(1:100,ncol=2)
> tail(x)
      [,1] [,2]
[45,]   45   95
[46,]   46   96
[47,]   47   97
[48,]   48   98
[49,]   49   99
[50,]   50  100

instead of the current

> tail(x)
     [,1] [,2]
[1,]   45   95
[2,]   46   96
[3,]   47   97
[4,]   48   98
[5,]   49   99
[6,]   50  100

I just want to be careful that this doesn't mess up something else.

Duncan Murdoch