[Rd] library( ) and verbose=

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Sun Jul 11 13:07:00 CEST 2004

The Hmisc package has in its .First.lib function a verbose argument,
which I thought was the way to allow users to suppress certain messages,
by issuing library(Hmisc, verbose=FALSE).  But I see that library( )
does not pass verbose to .First.lib.  The default for verbose in Hmisc
is TRUE because .First.lib prints some important information about
masked functions.  What is the best way to fix this?  Is it reasonable
to expect library to pass verbose along?  I'm running R 1.9 on debian.