[Rd] read.table, read.fwf, and na.strings (PR#7075)

ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon Jul 12 16:35:08 CEST 2004

rmh at temple.edu wrote:

> # Your mailer is set to "none" (default on Windows),
> # hence we cannot send the bug report directly from R.
> # Please copy the bug report (after finishing it) to
> # your favorite email program and send it to
> #
> #       r-bugs at r-project.org
> #
> ######################################################
>

> Is this intended behavior for the read.fwf(na.strings="-999")?
> I anticipated that the na.strings would be padded with blanks.
> Therefore I anticipated getting the result tmp2 from the simpler
> na.strings in the tmp1 assignment?  My anticipation is based on the
> documentation that says
> "Blank fields are also considered to be missing values."
>

>>na.strings: a vector of strings which are to be interpreted as 'NA'
>>          values.  Blank fields are also considered to be missing
>>          values.
>

> temp.dat

A blank field in the first column of the first row is:

   3456-999 01234
56-9990123412345

The field "-999 " cannot assumed to be blank in any sence from my point
of view.

Anyway, improving NA handling in read.fwf() is certainly something for
the wishlist (particularly padding blanks for na.string(s)). Is anybody
out there going to contribute (given anybody else thinks it is useful)?

Uwe Ligges