[Rd] Segfault with options() (PR#7078)

deepayan at stat.wisc.edu deepayan at stat.wisc.edu
Mon Jul 12 18:54:22 CEST 2004

On Monday 12 July 2004 11:37, Martin Maechler wrote:
> Thank you, Deepayan:
>
>     Deepayan> This is completely undocumented use of options,
>     Deepayan> but it does cause a segfault with r-patched and
>     Deepayan> r-devel on Linux:
>
>     Deepayan> options(list('digits', 'scipen'))
>
>     Deepayan> Strangely enough,
>
>     Deepayan> options(list('digits'))
>
>     Deepayan> and
>
>     Deepayan> options(list(digits = 10, scipen = 2))
>
>     Deepayan> work as might be expected.
>
> I think I've seen where and how the problem occurs and am
> currently testing an easy patch.
>
> That will however give an error message for all calls
>    options( mylist )
> when mylist is a list that has
>   length(names(mylist)) !=  length(mylist)
>
> You weren't making a "feature request" in the other direction
> where you?

No. I'm playing around with the possibility of having similarly behaved
functions like lattice.options() and lattice.getOption(), and I was
checking the behaviour of options() when I encountered the segfault.

Should options( mylist ) work at all? It's not documented, at least not
in ?options. Is that a documentation oversight?

Deepayan